Tuesday, February 17, 2009

We went out and about today...


Between jet lag and just not sleeping, it's not uncommon for my mornings to start quite early. I've been waking up between 2-4am and having midnight snacks and tea. last night I finally slept the whole night through but woke up at 5am. What am I to do at five when the rest of the country isn't really up until 10? Well, i waited about fifteen minutes and Alan woke up. This morning a cup of coffee, a few clouds and the sun rise made me happy. I wrapped myself in the blanket from the bed and sat on the patio. :)

We decided to go to town and eat breakfast, it was great but so strange. We got these breakfast sandwiches that had olive oil instead of butter if your Brit and Majo for the Americans. It tasted great but between the oil and the cheese, it was fattier and heavier than I expected and could barely eat half. The coffee was great. I think coffee con leche here is a double long espresso with milk no foam in California. Add a sugar and it's damn good. We wondered town. I think we made a giant circle where I realized it's easy to get lost cause it all looks the same but it's not that big so it's easy to get found.

Mijas, is a small town on a hill that is all white with little one way streets and the sidewalks are just different colored cobble stones. Most the time shop owners are socializing out side the store so you walk in the middle of the street until you see a car coming. There are these side allies, that are people's front stoop and are shortcuts up and down the hill. Most people have these hanging plants on the walls and gardens where they can. The ground is mainly rock so potted plants and top soil are a must.

There is a shop for everything. This old man has just gotten his olive oil freshly pressed and is carrying about a gallon of oil home. Which i assume is quite useful seeing as though they cook everything with olive oil, even thier fries. Even Burger King makes their fries in olive oil.

I wanted to go to the mall which is 'parque commercial'. We weren't so sure of what we were getting or if it was to look and see what there was. But when i saw the Ben&Jerry's I realized that I am still not used to the flavor of the water and the Ice Cream shop is the best place to get water that I knew would be good. Yeah that made alot of sence.... But at this fine mall I found my water, paid a euro more than i should, but I had the best tasting water so far. Happy hydrated me... It was from the Sierra Nevada Mountians which sparked a fine chat with a woman who told me that Spain's Sierra Navada mountians are used for skying and that when you are on them you can see the the ocean! This talk was in spanish and I was quite proud of myself. I spoke and she understood me and vise versa!
There are more pics in the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment